« Getting Pics Off A Bad Memory CardBringing In the New Year 2011 Style! »

An Android Christmas!

February 19, 2011

An Android Christmas!

My Fist Smartphone a Droid XThis Christmas was very, very good to me. I got assorted wunnerful gifties: clothes, moola, a small food processor (home-made salsa baby!) and the best thing you can ever get a geek - shiny, new glad-I-didn’t-have-to-shell-out-for-it-tech, complete w/that new gadget smell: A Motorola Droid X smart phone!

Anyone who knows me understands how practical I am, even though I am a die-hard übergeek. I love the shiny-new toys but unless I have a reason for it, I almost never buy it just because it’s shiny or cool, that’s for pretend ubergeeks or those people they put up those ridiculous impulse aisles in supermarkets. I buy shinies when they’re reasonably priced, suit a purpose I need them for and are well-worth the dough I have to shell out.

My previous cell phone was a nice Samsung Trance. It wasn’t a smartphone, it made calls (sadly not the most important feature in a phone for a ton of morons out there), played music had a camera and fit in the the coin pocket of my jeans. It was small, tiny even, super thin and had more than enough features to make me happy. Oh, and no stupid flip the phone open to answer a call (I HATE THAT!), all you had to do was slide it open. To end a call *gasp* you slid it shut. Loved it!

But alas, Mr. Trance was immediately shoved in a drawer somewhere the minute I opened up that nicely wrapped box to discover I had now been gifted a Droid X this Christmas. (I don’t even know where I shoved the Trance, poor thing.)

To say I love my X is an understatement. I haven’t been this shocked since a very special birthday when my sistas gave me an iPod. This X is my first smartphone and X-tremely special just like my iPod.

I’ve always loved the Droid X since it came out and after showing it to my brother when he was in need of a new phone, he got one. My love of the phone (and the Android platform) was known to everyone I know, but still, I wasn’t really looking for one yet because my old phone fit my needs just fine and I was waiting for a good deal on it or the next better alternative later on when the time came.

Well, it came early on December 25th! :banana:

I immediately did a lot of reading and investigating to trick out and hack my phone. It wasn’t an hour old when I started downloading free apps and tricking the sucker out to customize it and expand it’s functionality, as any true ubergeek will do.

I take my Droid X everywhere I go and if I forget it for a second in the house I go and get it. While I wouldn’t call it immediate separation anxiety, if it’s not on my person or right beside me, I have to find it. It’s legal to marry a smartphone, right? If not it should be! Who’s with me?! :>>

Droid. It’s what most people use. We are many. We are Droid.

Posted by Vincent Navarino (who has an iPod) at 10:29AM • 9 comments »

9 comments

Comment from: Shannon Freeman
You mean you can get a R2D2 wallpaper for your droid? Cool!
February 20, 2011 @ 10:12AM
Actually yeah, there are several moving (aka video) live wallpapers with R2D2 on it for Droid! Although I don't use live wallpaper because it affects battery life :>>
February 21, 2011 @ 01:11PM
Comment from: chris
Hey Vince, COOL XMAS! Welcome to Android! Hey didn't you say that Droid would outsell the iPhone ages ago? :>
February 22, 2011 @ 08:55AM
Yes I did Chris, although I have to admit I do not understand how people cannot figure out basic math these days and be surprised at the outcome of Droid's inevitable success vs iPhone. Many vs one, open vs closed, choice vs none, free vs paid.

You cannot dominate an entire industry by offering a single product. It's common sense. One manufacturer cannot for long dominate an industry by offering ONE product in a sea of products. It always gets drowned out.

The iPhone is a great phone, seriously but it's just ONE PHONE out of many no matter how people try to spin it.

Want a physical keyboard? No iPhone for you!
Want to expand it's memory w/o it costing $100 for $12 worth of memory? No iPhone for you!

Ridiculous.

Google realized to dominate the market they had to get it put on all kinds of phones, which really isn't a brilliant idea - it's pretty simple. You just can't dominate with a single product. You need choice, you need variety and you need to adapt quickly.

Again, common sense. Not that watching the fiasco wasn't fun! :>

Droid. We are many. We are Droid.
February 22, 2011 @ 10:52AM
Comment from: Shannon Freeman
I can't help it. the droid logo reminds me of R2D2.
February 23, 2011 @ 10:43AM
Comment from: Jennifer
I switched from the iPhone & $%#@! AT&T to a Droid w/Verizon haven't looked back!!!!!!!!!
February 23, 2011 @ 02:24PM
Hi Jennifer, the iPhone is a good phone there's no denying it but Apple must really loathe their customers and their phone by putting it on a terrible network for so long. Typical Apple.
February 23, 2011 @ 09:18PM
Comment from: Haley
I married my phone after dumping my husband as soon as I discovered how to turn vibrate on :))
February 26, 2011 @ 10:02AM
88|

|-|

:>>

:>
February 26, 2011 @ 11:57PM

Comments are closed for this post.

April 2014

1 Gbyte OCZ Technology PC-3200 Platinum Enhanced Dual Channel DDR RAM
250Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA Hard Drive
NEC ND-3540A 16x Dual Layer DVD±RW Burner
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Sound Card
Ultra X-Connect 500w power supply
Ultra Dragon Glossy Red ATX Mid Tower Case
Ultimate Ultimate Keyboard: Dell Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard (#310-6166)
Plus Tons of Assorted Misc. Geeky Goodness

XML Feeds

Site © and Purpose

This site and all contents within are © Vincent B. Navarino 2002-3010. All rights reserved. No part of this site may be used for commercial or non-commercial purposes without express written permission. This site's focus is on humor, parody and the incessant need to ridicule stupid people.

Warning: this site is not for the humor or sarcastically impaired, republicans, democrats or anyone that thinks ill of cows and other bovines. Oh and duck-lovers.

This site is best viewed:

Through a kaleidescope.