« I Got Eaten By ZombiesAn Android Christmas! »

Getting Pics Off A Bad Memory Card

March 2, 2011

Getting Pics Off A Bad Memory Card

Recently one of my online friends sent me a memory card from her camera in the hopes I might be able to recover her vacation photos. Something went screwy wackadoodles BOOM awry and all of the pics on the card weren’t there anymore. I offered to see what mojo I could dojo and with nothing to lose she put it in the mail.

[SKIP THIS PART IF TECHNOLOGY CONFUSES YOU]

See, I had done a lot of data recovery over the years on bad hard drives, CDs, DVDs, memory cards, flash/thumb drives, old pianos, circus midgets and the occasional dark elf so I was pretty confident I’d be able to recover all her images off the whacked-out/corrupted SD card.

The minute I received the card I tried it on all my computers and while they knew there was a memory card inserted, they could not read or see anything on it. XX(

Which is a bad thing because it meant the card was severely corrupted and inaccessible to the computers. So no amount of software I had in my data recovery arsenal would probably work. What to do? |-|

[KEEP ON SKIPPING NOTHING TO SEE HERE EXCEPT A PRETTY GRAPHIC I WORKED VERY HARD ON]

Getting Pics off a bad memory card

I wasn’t stumped or even worried. Yet. So I inserted the memory card into my digital camera and formatted it. If I could get the card to a readable state so my computers could see it, I should be able to recover the images without a problem. Most data recovery programs and techniques can easily find deleted, formatted over data. Despite several format tries, the card could still not be read by my computers. :knock:

[OK THE CONFUSING PART’S OVER]

Still not stumped but a tad intrigued, I put my digital camera on PLAY MODE, with her corrupted card inside it and an amazing thing happened. The little green thinking light went crazy and after a few seconds an image appeared. IT WAS ONE OF HER LOST PICTURES! My digital camera was able to see the card and slowly started resurrecting her wiped, corrupted pics! My camera worked on this problem for about ten minutes and after it was done all of her pictures were there - all 217 of them. Fully freaking restored?! TA-DAAAA! 88|

Who knew? I never saw that one before but hey, I go with anything that works. I quickly connected the camera to the computer and copied over all the restored pictures and thus, with the help of my trusty Canon Powershot A580 digital camera/new data recovery tool, my title of Miracle Worker was still in place. :>>

My camera saved the day, I took credit for it, somewhere where it’s cold all the time a nice lady with six children got some of her precious memories back and the world is a better place, indeed. Boo-ya! B)

Posted by Vincent Navarino (who has an iPod) at 08:59PM • 17 comments »

17 comments

Comment from: chris
88| A camera can do that?! 88| Seriously? Had no clue a digital camera can restore messed up pics gotta hand it to you that was VERY creative! Writing that one down you da man! :banana:
March 3, 2011 @ 11:40AM
While a computer and a camera read memory cards, apparently certain cameras in certain situations can read or re-assemble lost data and corrupted structures of memory cards.

Apparently the error-checking in my camera for this instance could detect the structure of the card, even though it was corrupted and afterwards find and re-assemble the picture data. Pretty much all digital images from electronic devices go to the Digital Camera Images directory (or DCIM for short) so I'm guessing from this incident that the camera saw the card was corrupted, managed to see into the DCIM folder and restore the pictures. It couldn't fix the corruption on the card, just figure a way around it as I still could not see the card, or pictures on my computers. I could only see them in the camera, thanks to it's wildly surprising error-checking and only through connecting the camera could I copy the restored pictures.

In short, got a corrupt memory card? Pics go missing? Try it in a bunch of other digital cameras and see what happens; you might get lucky like I did.

In point of fact, this trick might work on phones that take pictures and other digital devices that take pics or display pics like digital picture frames - as long as the card will fit, try it and see! You've got nothing to lose!

You heard it here first, peeps. Give props if you use this trick to who told you about it. 'kay?
March 3, 2011 @ 10:36PM
Comment from: blue
I find that truly amazing! NICE FIND! Once again you show your l33t skillz. Only you could come up with a new way to get corrupted images off of a memory card. :>>

Using a different camera? That's one cool cam you got there!
March 4, 2011 @ 10:15AM
Comment from: James Richardson
I have never heard of anything like this before very creative! I'm adding it to my IT arsenal thanks!
March 4, 2011 @ 09:19PM
You can't allow yourself to try to guess why something won't work. Like a good troubleshooter / ubergeek I try anything I can think of. I never use those stupid terms like "think outside the box." That's for the same limited clueless idiots that use the term "social-engineering" because they've never heard of a New Yorker/street smarts / con-artist, or understood what a troubleshooter is and is supposed to do.

There was never a box to think outside of. Ask any decent troubleshooter and they'll tell you the same thing. Basic 101.

Not to say I wasn't surprised when using a different digital camera to see the corrupted pics from another camera worked. My thinking was this - a digital camera is not a computer and therefore might be able to see what a card reader can't. All cameras have some sort of error checking, if I passed it through enough cameras I'm sure one would have eventually worked unless the corruption was too great or the card was dead.

You never know for sure something new will or won't work unless you try. So try. You've got nothing to lose and knowledge to gain!
March 6, 2011 @ 12:46PM
Comment from: Mr Covert
Please inform your brother to end all communications with MY WIFE. Thank you.
March 10, 2011 @ 10:27AM
Comment from: Shannon Freeman
How are the dilithium crystals holding up? Will she make it to the next port Vinnie?
March 21, 2011 @ 09:09PM
I think the wee bairns can make it if we go easy on 'em, Captain!
March 21, 2011 @ 09:15PM
Mr Covert: tell him yourself. Want his number?
March 21, 2011 @ 09:17PM
Comment from: Shannon Freeman
Good to hear Vinnie. thought we were going to lose warp power for a few seconds on this voyage. And for those of you that are clueless, go watch Star Trek. Hmm, maybe that should be Vinnie's next post.
April 3, 2011 @ 03:09AM
If anyone needs to know they should watch Star Trek, they're not worth talking to. Same for people that don't know who JRR Tolkein, Farscape or Isaac Asimov are.

Ducks need not apply. Or duck lovers.
April 3, 2011 @ 10:10AM
Comment from: Shannon Freeman
You eat Duck A 'La Orange? Or should it be golden brown? anyway, there are some people who don't watch Star Trek, just Star Wars. Go figure.
April 9, 2011 @ 12:44PM
While I'm all for the hunting and subsequent consumption of this fowl bird of the water, I do not partake in such gastronomical ingurgitation.

In short: I'm may be, but I'm not for, quackers.

PS. Star Wars is wanna-be Apple of Trek. :-/
April 9, 2011 @ 03:47PM
Comment from: Shannon Freeman
JRR Tolkien? Didn't they make three movies out of the LOTR books. I liked the movies better than the books. The Tolkien books were waaay too long. As for Asimov, he was and still is, a genius.
April 25, 2011 @ 10:56AM
Tolkein was the brightest by far in his genre; a master story teller. Probably the best or pretty high up there. It is rare that a movies makes a good adaptations of such treasured tales and I was more than pleasantly surprised that they did a great job in that area. Truly a dream come true.

The splitting up of the last Harry Potter movie to extend the money train pretty much caused me seizures though. Shame shame shame. :knock:
April 25, 2011 @ 12:30PM
Comment from: Shannon Freeman
True Vinnie, Would've been better to make it 4 1/2 hours long with an intermission in the middle. There, problem solved.
May 1, 2011 @ 03:52PM
Oh man do I miss movies with that intermission in the middle!!!

:banana:Let's go out... to the movies... let's go out... to the mo-ovies... let's go out to the MOOVIES and get ourselves a snack!:banana:

May 1, 2011 @ 03:56PM

Comments are closed for this post.

April 2014

1 Gbyte OCZ Technology PC-3200 Platinum Enhanced Dual Channel DDR RAM
250Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA Hard Drive
NEC ND-3540A 16x Dual Layer DVD±RW Burner
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Sound Card
Ultra X-Connect 500w power supply
Ultra Dragon Glossy Red ATX Mid Tower Case
Ultimate Ultimate Keyboard: Dell Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard (#310-6166)
Plus Tons of Assorted Misc. Geeky Goodness

XML Feeds

Site © and Purpose

This site and all contents within are © Vincent B. Navarino 2002-3010. All rights reserved. No part of this site may be used for commercial or non-commercial purposes without express written permission. This site's focus is on humor, parody and the incessant need to ridicule stupid people.

Warning: this site is not for the humor or sarcastically impaired, republicans, democrats or anyone that thinks ill of cows and other bovines. Oh and duck-lovers.

This site is best viewed:

Through a kaleidescope.